Sunday, September 28, 2008

Half the Sugar, ALL the Sweetness

We made a vow that sugar would be a very rare part of Z's life. At the very least we wanted her to learn that sugar is a condiment, not a food group of its own. Some saw our decision as just a way of being difficult, weird and depriving our child of some basic pleasures. Others interpreted it as a judgement of their particular parenting choices. Believe me, at that time what someone else was doing was barely on my radar. Sometimes as a parent you have to do what you need to do for your family whether anyone understands it or approves of it. Only you know the reasons. And that is all that matters.

As for me, the battle I fight with food is one that I never want Z to fight. I felt the only way she would have half a chance was to expose her palate to almost no sugar for as long as possible. Same goes for artificial sweeteners. Not only do sweet n low/ equal/ nutra sweet/splenda train the taste buds to crave everything "sweetened", but they are chemicals, for goodness sake. Even the "made from sugar" stuff is chemically altered. If I had to choose between these scary things and sugar, I would take the sugar.

My father is diabetic, my mother was diagnosed as diabetic not too long ago. My chances appear to be slim to none. I am extremely overweight and feel I have an addiction as real as any heroin or meth user. Why would I chose to continue the pattern? I often look at myself in the mirror and think "Who the heck are you to tell anyone how or what to eat?" Then I think, who I am is EXACTLY the person to make someone else's life better (particularly my own child's) based on my own experience and my own regrets. To this day, I indulge in sweet treats (not right in front of her) that I will not give my daughter. Is it unfair? Perhaps - if looked at it from a childish point of view. But what she doesn't know is that: 1) she is a child, not a grown up. We get to do different things. 2) My weaknesses / addictions are real and very difficult to control 3)Just as I would not allow her drive a car, cross a busy street, or swim in shark infested water, I will not invite her into my world of unhealthy choices and accept it as status quo. Yes, there is a chance of everything I'm doing backfiring, but that's a chance I'm willing to take.

After five years we are doing pretty good. Very early on it was basically no sugar. Now there are occasions when it is extremely difficult to avoid - birthday parties, trick or treat, lollipops at the bank, indulgences at the grandparents house. What I hope to do now is allow her to realize there are very healthy and very yummy possibilities without going overboard with sugar.

Today we made the most absolutely yummy cookies! I used the recipe on the quaker oats box top as a "guide". Z love dumping all the things in the bowl, stirring, waiting for the cookies to bake. She was just giddy during the whole process. I explained to her that these cookies did have sugar in them, just not a LOT of sugar. Also, some of the ingredients like the pecans and the craisins are things she would be very reluctant to try if I just handed her a cookie already made with those things in it. However, because she got to participate in the process, she loved eating the end product. I don't believe she feels deprived in any way. Here's what we did:

1/2 lb (2 sticks) butter
1/2 c firmly packed br sugar (quaker calls for 1 c)
1/4 c reg sugar (quaker calls for 1/2 c)
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
1/2 c pumpkin puree
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour (quaker call for reg all-purpose)
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
3 1/4 c old fashioned oats (quaker calls for 3 c quick or old fashioned. I added 1/4 more to compensate for the pumpkin)
3/4 c chopped pecans
1 c craisins (slightly sweetened, dried cranberries, instead of raisins)

Heat oven to 350 degrees
Beat together butter & sugars until creamy
Add eggs, vanilla & pumpkin
Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon in sep bowl and mix well. Then add to the wet mix.
Stir in oats and craisins
Using a tablespoon, drop on ungreased cookie sheet.We rolled our dough ball ever so slightly in our hands then flattened them just a little on the cookie sheet.
Bake 12 - 14 minutes.

Even with half the sugar, it can't get any sweeter!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You rock Teresa!! Sardines can be a party too. (This is JR not Doug) There is indeed a great impact made by everything we expose the kids to. Lincoln logs not Bratz!